Pages

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Jesus, Lover of My Soul

Hear is a story about a hymn text written by an English minister while in fear for his life in Northern Ireland. Have I got your interest? Charles Wesley (1707 - 1788) was an Anglican minister and a musician who, along with his younger brother John, founded the movement that would later be known as the Methodist denomination. Quite prolific when writing about his faith, Wesley was personally responsible for over six thousand hymn texts. This particular hymn was written, as I mentioned, in Northern Ireland.

It seems that Wesley was preaching in the fields of the parish of Killyleagh, County Down, when he was attacked by men who disagreed with his doctrines. Disagreement was not foreign to Charles Wesley. He was quite adamant in his faith and got into heated discussions with his bother John on numerous occasions. In this particular disagreement in Killyleagh, Wesley was forced to flee for his life with the attackers close on his trail. Wesley sought refuge in a house located on what was known as the Island Barn Farm. The farmer’s wife, Jane Lowrie Moore, told Wesley to hide in the millhouse, down in the garden. The mob soon arrived and demanded that Wesley be turned over to them. Mrs. Moore tried to quiet the mob by offering them refreshments. Going down to the millhouse, she instructed Wesley to climb through the rear window and hide under the hedge, which ran beside a little brook.

While hiding there, hearing the cries of his pursuers all around him, Wesley turned to God for his deliverance. He may have recalled Scripture passages such as David’s Psalm 18, which describes the Lord God as a refuge in the midst of the raging storms and battles of life. He may have recalled David’s Psalm 23, which describes the Lord God as his shepherd, guiding him and caring for him in the midst of great troubles. Wesley might even have recalled Jesus’ story of the prodigal, recounted in Luke 15:11–32, where the Lord God is described as the generous and loving father who allows his wayward son to leave but waits for his return, and who then counts him as once being lost, but now found.

It was in this setting that Wesley wrote what is considered by many as one of the best loved hymns of all time. The words speak of a personal and intimate relationship with Jesus Christ, describing Him as Lover, Protector, and Provider. While we do not know the final details of Wesley’s ordeal, it is apparent that he survived. The hymn text was first published in the 1740 collection entitled “Hymns and Sacred Poems.”

Several melodies have been paired with Wesley’s text over the years. The first recorded pairing is with a tune called “Martyn,” published in 1834 and written by American musician, choir director and Sunday School superintendent Simeon Butler Marsh (1798 - 1875). Another popular pairing is with a tune called “Aberystwyth,” published in 1879 and written by Welsh-American composer Joseph Parry (1841 - 1903). There are others, but whatever tune you prefer, the hymn text is the important thing. And it speaks to hearts even today.

The story of Wesley’s ordeal and his deliverance, comes down to us through the Moore family descendants. To this day, Moore family members still live in the house, which is much the same as it was in Wesley’s time.

Jesus, Lover of My Soul

Jesus, lover of my soul, let me to Thy bosom fly,
While the nearer waters roll, while the tempest still is high.
Hide me, O my Savior, hide, till the storm of life is past;
Safe into the haven guide; O receive my soul at last.

Other refuge have I none, hangs my helpless soul on Thee;
Leave, ah! leave me not alone, still support and comfort me.
All my trust on Thee is stayed, all my help from Thee I bring;
Cover my defenseless head with the shadow of Thy wing.

Wilt Thou not regard my call? Wilt Thou not accept my prayer?
Lo! I sink, I faint, I fall—Lo! on Thee I cast my care;
Reach me out Thy gracious hand! While I of Thy strength receive,
Hoping against hope I stand, dying, and behold, I live.

Thou, O Christ, art all I want, more than all in Thee I find;
Raise the fallen, cheer the faint, heal the sick, and lead the blind.
Just and holy is Thy Name, I am all unrighteousness;
False and full of sin I am; Thou art full of truth and grace.

Plenteous grace with Thee is found, grace to cover all my sin;
Let the healing streams abound; make and keep me pure within.
Thou of life the fountain art, freely let me take of Thee;
Spring Thou up within my heart; rise to all eternity.

-

Bibliography

“Charles Wesley.” NetHymnal. 11 Nov. 2007. Web. 05 Oct. 2009. <http://www.cyberhymnal.org/bio/w/e/s/wesley_c.htm>.

“Charles Wesley.” Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. 20 Sept. 2009. Web. 05 Oct. 2009. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Wesley>.

“Jesus, Lover of My Soul.” NetHymnal. 26 Aug. 2007. Web. 05 Oct. 2009. <http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/j/l/jlmysoul.htm>.

“Joseph Parry.” NetHymnal. 21 Oct. 2007. Web. 05 Oct. 2009. <http://www.cyberhymnal.org/bio/p/a/r/parry_j.htm>.

“Joseph Parry.” Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. 7 June 2009. Web. 05 Oct. 2009. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Parry>.

“Simeon Butler Marsh.” NetHymnal. 20 Oct. 2007. Web. 05 Oct. 2009. <http://www.cyberhymnal.org/bio/m/a/r/marsh_sb.htm>.

-

No comments: